Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Grandma Emmy Cont...

Keep on Sweethearting




Doctrine and Covenants 25:14


Continue in the spirit of meekness, and beware of pride. Let thy soul delight in thy husband, and the glory which shall come upon him.




Although I never knew my Grandpa Sollie, he and my Grandma Emmy set a wonderful example of an eternal marriage. Grandma was devoted to Grandpa in his life and in his death in the way she loved, served and respected him. I always knew of the deep love Grandma had for her husband. Their union was eternal and she knew it with all her heart. When each of her grandkids got engaged it was tradition to take our fiancés to visit grandma and tell her of our announcement. She would often be one of the firsts to see the engagement ring and give her congratulations. Grandma would share stories of her and Grandpa, of their love for each other and for the Savior. She talked of the joys and the sorrows that marriage will bring, “but all are wonderful when you work through it together”. She always gave the best advice, “Keep the Savior at the center of your marriage, and don’t ever stop sweethearting!” Grandma used to often tell me that when she finally got to see Grandpa Sollie again she was going to sing to him, “Kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again, it’s been a long, long time!” I have no doubt that she did sing that to him and that they are in the spirit world sweethearting every single day.





1 comment:

  1. You are so blessed (and very lucky) to have a grammy like that. I only ever really knew 1 of my grandmas, and she's not the spiritual type. She always told stories of how her own mother was horrible and how my grandpa annoyed her. It's only been in the last few years she's said anything gracious about him, that he was the love of her life.

    ReplyDelete